Motorcycle accidents can be devastating due to the minimal protection these iconic rides inherently provide. If you were involved in a motorcycle accident caused by the reckless or negligent actions of another, it is crucial to know what to do in the immediate aftermath to ensure you do not harm your own case if you choose to move forward with a personal injury lawsuit.
Here are some steps you should remember to take after a motorcycle accident:
- Check for injuries: If you are able to move, check to see if everyone else involved in the accident is okay and, if necessary, call for emergency medical attention.
- Get out of the roadway: You do not want to risk another accident, so move all vehicles off the road to a safe location, if possible. If this is not possible, use hazard lights, flares, or warning triangles to alert oncoming traffic.
- Collect information: Gather and exchange all pertinent information with all other drivers who are involved. This includes names, phone numbers, addresses, insurance information, and license numbers. You should also note the plate numbers, car make and models, and descriptions.
- Call law enforcement: Even if no one is injured, it is still crucial to call the police. They will be able to file a police report, which could be vital in your effort to recover damages for injuries and property damage sustained.
- Observe your surroundings: Depending on how seriously hurt you are, this may or may not be possible. If you can, try to notice any important information about your surroundings and take note of them. Remember the location of the accident, road conditions, weather, speed limit, lighting, and other crucial details.
- Talk to witnesses: This will also depend on how injured you might be, but if you are able to, it would be helpful to talk to witnesses at the scene. Memories fade quickly, so getting their accounts of what happened while it is still fresh can be immensely beneficial.
- Never admit fault: Accidents are chaotic and it is often unclear what the cause is, so why jump to conclusions and take fault for something you had no part in causing? Be careful when it comes to making any statements at the scene or you might end up regretting it later.
Ventura Motorcycle Accident Attorneys
If you were recently injured in a motorcycle accident, the Ventura personal injury attorneys at Haffner Law Group are here to conduct an extensive investigation of your case and gather crucial evidence necessary to recover compensation on your behalf. Backed by over 50 years of collective experience, you can trust that your case will be in capable hands with our legal team.
Call our office today at (805) 434-6393 to schedule a free consultation.